For vegetarians, vegans and those who simply have difficulty swallowing, or tolerating to fish oil, there is an alternative worth thinking about – Flax Seed Oil.
Your body needs Essential Fatty Acids. It cannot make them and so you must get them from your food. These EFA’s are known as Omega-3 and Omega-6.
Fish oil is well known for it’s high content of Omega-3 but does not contain Omega-6.
At Mr Vitamins we are great advocates of including high quality Fish Oil in your diet – but there are times we recommend alternatives as well.
Facts About Flax
Flax Seed Oil (also known as Linseed) contains both Omega-3 and Omega-6 in the ratio 3:2, which means that you can now get your daily requirement of both from one source.
Health Benefits of Omega-3
- Protects you against heart attacks and strokes
- Fights eczema and skin inflammation
- Balances skin health for a youthful, smooth appearance
- Helps to control symptoms of asthma
- Eliminates joint inflammation and soreness
- Prevents mood swings and improves general mental outlook
- Improves memory and concentration
- Weight loss through reduced food cravings
- Lower blood pressure
- Promotes healthy brain functioning
- Prevents symptoms of ADD and ADHD
- Increases immunity to colds, flu, and infection
- Excellent for prenatal health
Health Benefits of Omega-6
- Reduces the aches and pains of rheumatoid arthritis
- Relieves the discomforts of PMS, endometriosis, and fibrocystic breasts
- Reduces the symptoms of eczema and psoriasis
- Clears up acne and rosacea
- Prevents and improves diabetic neuropathy
- Aids in cancer treatment
What is the Perfect Ratio of Omega-3 to Omega-6?
This is a subject of much debate. A world expert in this field, Dr. Udo Erasmus, thinks that the ideal is 2:1 in favour of Omega-3. Flaxseed Oil at 3:2 is close.
Our western diets are much higher in Omega-6 ranging between 10-20:1 in favour of Omega-6. These come mainly from polyunsaturated vegetable oils. Excessive amounts of Omega-6 are not good for you. They cause a variety of health problems such as increased water retention, raised blood pressure and blood clotting. See Mr Vitamins discussion about Omega 3 and Fish Oil in: Here’s Good News about Cholesterol.
Dr. Erasmus has created his own organic oil blend that is in his optimal ratio of 2:1 in favour of Omega-3. It’s called, Udo’s Choice Oil Blend, and has Flax Seed Oil, as it’s main ingredient. Like other Flax Seed Oils it needs to be kept in the fridge to ensure freshness and prevent rancidity.
Flax Seed Oil has a unique and delicious nutty flavour. You can take it on it’s own, use it as a basis for a salad dressing or add it to delicious fruit or yoghurt smoothies.
- Nutralife Hi Omega Flax Oil organic – capsules
- Good Health Certified organic flaxseed oil – liquid